More than a dozen ballistic missiles screamed into two Iraqi military bases housing US troops overnight.
Iran has claimed responsibility for the missile attacks against the bases. There were no immediate reports of casualties at the heavily protected base.
The attack came in the early hours of Wednesday morning, local time, with reports that several missiles struck Al Asad air base. Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said the attack is the beginning of a “fierce revenge” following the death of Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani.
In a statement, the Guard said: “The brave soldiers of IRGC’s aerospace unit have launched a successful attack with tens of ballistic missiles on Al Assad military base in the name of martyr Gen. Qassem Soleimani.”
On Tuesday, Soleimani’s successor, Gen. Esmail Ghaani, vowed to “rid the region of America” as mourners gathered in the streets of Tehran.
Soleimani, 62, was killed last week in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad. A top White House adviser said the strike against Soleimani prevented the deaths of “hundreds of Americans.”
Meanwhile, the White House says that President Trump is expected to make a statement sometime Wednesday about the Iranian missile strikes.
While the attacks were the latest escalation with Tehran in the aftermath of a U.S. drone strike that killed the top Iranian general, initial assessments showed “no U.S. casualties,” according to U.S. military officials in Baghdad.
“All is well!” the president tweeted Tuesday night. “Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”
“I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” he said.