There were new rocket attacks on targets housing US forces in Iraq over the weekend. The base which houses American troops, was hit by at least eight rockets on Sunday. Reports said at least four Iraqi military officials were injured following the strike, which occurred north of Baghdad.
Iran’s Security Media Cell confirmed that Katyusha rockets were used in the attack. However, as of yet no one was claimed responsibility for the attacks. Reuters reported that eight rockets were launched at the base. 7 rockets in total were said to have hit the base.
The attack came just days after two military bases in Iraq housing US forces were targeted by Iran as tensions between the countries escalated following the killing of Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani.
According to reports, all of the rockets hit the base’s runway. No casualties among the US forces were reported. Sources have suggested that US intelligence had advance notice of the strikes and American troops had been pulled out of the base and relocated to safer facilities within Iraq.
Following the incident, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo offered his prayers to the injured and said “these continued violations of Iraq’s sovereignty by groups not loyal to the Iraqi government must end.”